tl;dr: we’re considering changing Render’s pricing structure to match the productivity boost we deliver to every developer, team, and organization building in the cloud. Our free tier for web services, PostgreSQL, and Redis won’t change.
I’d love to hear your questions or comments so we can finalize the changes and announce them soon.
Render’s last price change was in September 2019, when we hadn’t shipped most of the functionality you see today: teams, multiple regions, autoscaling, preview environments, monorepo support, infrastructure-as-code, a REST API, managed Redis, instant rollbacks, chat notifications, integrated DDoS protection, HTTP/3, and much more!
Over the years, we’ve helped software companies grow from founding to millions of dollars in revenue in less time than ever before because they haven’t had to build, maintain, and improve all of Render’s features themselves. Developers and teams using Render are no longer gated on internal platform teams; they can set their own pace.
The value of our platform has increased exponentially (and continues to grow), but our pricing has stayed the same throughout.
Ultimately, Render is a force multiplier for software developers and teams building in the cloud. We help you collaborate effectively and move fast so your teams and businesses can scale to new heights. Our product strategy is quite simple: we build features to make you more productive as you build in the cloud.
To better reflect this value, we’re planning to introduce 4 new plans: Individual, Team, Business, and Enterprise. Here’s a quick summary
- The Individual Plan is meant for personal projects, indie hacking, and for exploring Render without a credit card. It includes free email support, 100 GB in free bandwidth, and 1,000 free build minutes monthly in addition to existing free tier allowances. There is no fee for this plan beyond compute usage.
- The Team Plan is ideal for smaller engineering teams building on Render. It includes access to teams, email and chat support, 500 GB of free bandwidth, and 500 free build minutes per team member. It costs $19 per team member per month plus compute usage.
- The Business Plan is best for large engineering orgs and teams with special compliance needs. It includes everything in the Team plan along with prioritized support, custom compute instances, and 1 TB in free bandwidth. It costs $29 per team member monthly, plus compute usage.
- The Enterprise Plan includes features in the Business Plan and adds volume discounts, contractual uptime guarantees, strict support SLAs, and access to dedicated customer success engineers. You’ll know if you need this one.
Additionally, based on our costs at scale, we’re going to make two other changes so we can continue to offer sensible compute pricing that scales with you:
- Egress bandwidth usage beyond a plan’s free allowance will be charged at $30 per additional block of 100 GB. This is necessary to cover our costs for global bandwidth and DDoS protection. Inbound bandwidth is still free.
- We’re removing the Starter Plus and Standard Plus instances because they are not sustainable at scale. In the future, we will introduce self-serve, custom compute plans with per-CPU and per-GB RAM pricing.
The plan is to have these pricing changes go into effect on January 1, 2023, and be reflected on the bill you receive on February 1.
Note: If you create a team before December 1, 2023 and are the only member in it, we won’t charge you a monthly fee until July 1, 2023 (as long as you don’t add a second member). Your team will have access to all the features in the Team plan, including Autoscaling and Preview Environments.
Let us know if you have questions or feedback.