Serving mp4 files to Safari/macOS

Hi,
I’m trying to serve a static site with embedded mp4 video, which breaks in Safari 14 on macOS (10.15). File does not load and console says “Failed to load resource: Plug-in handled load”.
As a contrast, the video gets loaded nicely from Render in Chrome/macOS and Safari/iOS, also from other servers in Safari/macOS.

My knowledge is limited in this field, but reading similar reports elsewhere it is proposed the problem is with the web server sending the file as a blob and not streaming the video. Is this the case with Render? Is there any workaround besides moving the content off Render?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Safari requires the use of the range header which our proxy doesn’t yet support.

However, since you are using a static site that should be handled correctly by the CDN. Streaming may have not worked initially while your domain was pointed at our proxy while we issued certificates, but it should have started working once the DNS was updated to use our CDN.

If you are still seeing issues, could you share the domain and an example URL that streams the MP3? Feel free to DM me if you’d prefer.

That’s exactly what seems to have happened and it’s working now.
Thank you so much, can’t wait to recommend Render to others!

1 Like