Render and Cloudflare

My web service is using a wildcard domain. I was planning on using Cloudflare for DDoS protection and as a CDN, but I noticed this when I read the docs on setting up a Custom Domain:

Important Note When Using Cloudflare With Wildcard Domains

All Render services come with Cloudflare’s DDoS protection. Due to technical limitations with the way Cloudflare manages wildcard records, there are certain conditions that will prevent you from using your own Cloudflare account for your site while it’s hosted on Render. If you are adding a wildcard domain (e.g. *.example.com ) to Render but not adding the base domain (e.g. example.com ), using Cloudflare with proxying enabled (orange cloud) will cause traffic for the base domain to be sent to the same Render origin as your wildcard domain. In order to prevent service disruptions, you must ensure that proxying for your base domain is disabled (gray cloud). If you have any questions, you can get in touch with us at support@render.com.

It sounds like there may be issues setting up Cloudflare with a Render web service with a wildcard domain but if I’m understanding correctly, it may be uneccessary.

So I’m trying to understand:

1. Can you confirm that all traffic through a Render web service already has Cloudflare DDoS protection?
  2. If so, are there any other services that are automatically being provided by Cloudflare (like a CDN for static assets on a web service)?

Thanks!

Hi @rn99, welcome to the Render community!

I can confirm that all Render services come with Cloudflare DDoS protection included, so it shouldn’t be necessary for you to set that up separately. Currently, we do not use Cloudflare for our CDN, but we plan to in the future. We’ll announce more broadly once those changes come!