Limit of Static Sites / Autodeploy Question

Hello dear Render Community,

Hello, i’m planing to build a SaaS Plattform like Shopify, but only for delivery services. part of my business will be that the customer can have their own domain on which their shop runs.
I am currently looking for a provider where I can host the static sites. One requirement is that I can use the same repository for multiple sites and no webhooks are created since github has a limit of 20 webhooks.
Unfortunately, Amplify creates a webhook every time and has a limit of 25 pages.
Cloudflare only allows 1 site per repository.
Netlify bandwidth cost 5.5x more than Render.

Render seems like a good Alternative, API Support, GIthub Integration that dont creates Webhooks, Support when Buisness is growing.

But I still have a few questions:
Unfortunately, I could not find a limit on how many static sites I can deploy?
I also wonder how the autodeploy works if no webhook is created on Github?
And does my platform, on which I end up hosting 100s of static sites, not speak against Render’s TOS

Thank you for taking the time to read this far, best regards from Germany

Hi there,

Ok, so we don’t have a limit on the number of static sites you can deploy - but every site is backed by a Github repo. We don’t create a webhook but when you add our Render GitHub app to your account that then subscribes us to commits to your repo which we use to trigger deploys. The problem would be that any changes to that repo would trigger updates to ALL your services at the same time. Are all your static sites identical? If so, a more common practice would be to architect your site in such a way so it adjusts for the domain being accessed as opposed to deploying a version for every custom domain you have.

Provided the sites don’t break our ToS then they will be fine, but remember we do provide 100Gb of bandwidth to each service and above that we would charge you.

I hope that helps?

John B

Thanks for your answer.
I’m not sure about this part:

If so, a more common practice would be to architect your site in such a way so it adjusts for the domain being accessed as opposed to deploying a version for every custom domain you have.

Do you mean like pointing all the domain to 1 static site project ?
I need 1 dynamic variables thats different between every domain, to get the customer data individual from the backend.

I admit 100 build processes for the same repository is a waste of resources, but I haven’t found any other solution so far, because I insert my custom variable like in the build process:
SHOP_ID=1234 npm run build

Yes, that’s what I mean.

I’d probably then consider that static sites aren’t the way to go and be using a dynamic backend here with heavy caching etc - this is how Shopify itself probably does it, they don’t deploy a site per customer :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.