Deploy stuck at "still downloading cache"

Hi there,

I am doing my first deploy of an app, and I have gotten stuck at a very early phase in the deploy process.

Nov 14 01:56:36 PM  ==> Downloading cache...
Nov 14 01:56:44 PM  ==> Still downloading cache...

What’s up with this? I find it very worrying that my first deploy has failed for a cryptic reason.

Thanks,

Evan

1 Like

Oh, funny… at the 2 hour mark, it finally failed. On retry, it succeed quickly. This provokes three questions for me.

1. If this happens again, how can I kill a deploy and manually restart it?
  2. Is this a frequent occurrence? I am a bit worried because this is one of my first few deploys at Render. I don’t want to commit myself to an unreliable platform.
  3. Is there a way to shorten the timeout window from two hours?

Thanks,

Evan

Subscribing - encountered something with inconsistent preliminary build failures while piloting the platform

Hi Evan,

I’m sorry to hear you had a poor experience getting set up on Render, but to answer your questions:

1. You can always kill a current deploy from the service’s overview page by clicking the “Manual Deploy” button and choosing an option. This will cancel the current deploy and start a new one. One of the options is to clear the build cache which might help with a hanging cache download in the future.

2. The 2 hour hanging deploy is definitely atypical if you want to share the service name I’ll take a closer look and see if I can find what went wrong here.

3. The default timeout for builds is 15 minutes. If your application doesn’t open a port or respond to a health check in that time we should mark the deploy as failed. Since that didn’t happen we will have to do some digging to see what went wrong.

We are always working to make Render more reliable and I hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns.

@tyler - Here’s a direct link to the problematic build. Does it contain enough info for you to get the debugging info that you need?

You’ll notice the build started (and promptly got stuck) at 1:56pm central time. I received a failed email at 3:56pm.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.