Build command stalling and failing

Hi I have Web Service on render that consists of a node / react app. The region is Oregon.

Previously my build command was using yarn but I was using npm locally so I am attempting to correct that. When I updated my build command to reference npm, i.e. 'export REACT_APP_GOOGLE_MAPS_API_KEY=process.env.REACT_APP_GOOGLE_MAPS_API_KEY && npm install && cd ../client && npm install && npm run build'... (I just replaced yarn references with npm) I get no further output in the logs beyond it saying “Running build command”. This same commands succeeds for me locally in less than 30 seconds. In render it has been stalled for 30+ minutes multiple times and never succeeds. I have added a NODE_VERSION environment variable to match my local environment and there exists a value for REACT_APP_GOOGLE_MAPS_API_KEY in my env file.

This all started because I made a seemingly routine update to my front end code, which failed to deploy. It made it to [4/4] Building fresh packages... but then 2 hours later nothing had happened I got a build failed error Exited with status 143 while building your code. I was advised by render support to switch my build command to npm, which I then went ahead and did, but I have not heard anything back and I am still encountering the same issue.

What gives? How can I get my app to build successfully the way it does locally?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Same thing happens to me. Multiple services on Oregon freezes on [4/4] Building fresh packages...

Have they gotten back to you with a solution?

Hi there,

Are you using Puppeteer? If so, please see if removing this dependency will help.

Regards,

+1 to what Keith said although I would be curious why this changed all of a sudden… I had a version of Puppeteer in my app that hadn’t been touched in 6+ months so it seems odd that it would cause deploy to fail all of a sudden…

Adding --loglevel verbose to my build command helped me suss this out as the build command did not move past puppeteer

Seeing the same issue. Removing puppeteer (v21.4.0) as a npm dependency resolves it and the build completes successfully. I did see a deprecation warning in the build log so maybe that is related.

npm WARN deprecated puppeteer@21.4.0: < 22.5.0 is no longer supported

Hi there,

I’m unsure why it has just started happening, but yes, it would be highly recommended to use Puppeteer >=22.0, maybe >=22.5, based on that deprecation warning. Puppeteer does have this issue: https://github.com/puppeteer/puppeteer/issues/12094, but I haven’t really noticed this issue hitting customers until recently.

Regards,

Keith
Render Support, UTC+10 :australia:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.