Will using cron jobs to hit free tier web service every 13-14 minutes use up my free instance hours?

Hi I deployed a Django web service on free tier. As understood from the docs, a free instance will spin down with inactivity every 15 minutes. Someone here suggested using cron-jobs to hit the service every 13-14 minutes. However, I was wondering will this use up my free instance hours faster? As far as I understand, the limitation of 750 hours means the server is up for 24/7 for the entire month. So, cron-jobs should not disrupt this because the server is supposed to be up 24/7 anyway? Please explain thank you!

We can provide a ‘free’ tier because services sleep if they are inactive by design. Artificially and intentionally keeping the service awake goes against the spirit of the free tier, and if we saw wide-scale patterns of this, we would have to consider removing the free offering.

Please accept my apologies. I only read some discussions about it and was trying to get a clearer picture. The free tier is a wonderful feature for hobbyists like me, if I send my web service into production I will certainly upgrade the plan. Thank you again for prompt reply!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.