Title: Issue with Node.js Deployment on Render: Unable to Locate index.js

Description:

I’m encountering difficulties deploying my full-stack web application on Render. Currently stuck on Step 4 of the deployment process, I consistently receive error messages suggesting that Node.js cannot locate the index.js file at the specified path during deployment.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Created a render.com account.

2. Successfully deployed the front-end app.

3. Set up a PostgreSQL database.

4. Attempted to deploy the back-end app.

Expected Behavior:

Smooth deployment of the back-end app without encountering errors related to the location of the index.js file.

Actual Behavior:

Node.js reports an error, stating it is unable to find the index.js file at the expected location /opt/render/project/src/index.js.

Here’s a snippet of my package.json file:

{

"name": "smart-brain-api",

"version": "1.0.0",

"description": "A full-stack application for image recognition using Clarifai API, built with Express.js and PostgreSQL.",

"main": "server.js",

"scripts": {

"start": "node server.js"

},

// ... other properties ...

}

json

Error Messages:

The application is trying to execute `node index.js`. Node.js is unable to locate the index.js file at the expected location /opt/render/project/src/index.js.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

1. Checked the specified path to ensure the index.js file exists.

2. Verified the correct directory structure in the deployment settings.

3. Confirmed that the index.js file is included in the repository.

Additional Information:

- Node.js version: 21.3.0

- Project structure:

smart-brain-api

│

├── controllers

│ ├── image.js

│ ├── profile.js

│ ├── register.js

│ └── signin.js

│

├── node_modules

│

├── package-lock.json

│

├── package.json

│

└── server.js

Request for Assistance:

Seeking guidance on resolving this deployment issue. Any insights into why Node.js is having trouble locating the index.js file during deployment on Render would be greatly appreciated.

This user has reached out to us privately about this issue, so we’ve responded there to keep everything in one place.

Regards,
Mike

Render Support Engineer, MT (UTC-7)

The issue was the entry point. When on the render.com website under dashboard settings there is a section called

“Start Command”

For me the “Start Command” was preset to ‘node index.js’ to fix this was just to change this section to ‘node server.js’. It was just the change of the entry point that was the solution.

Thanks for posting the solution, Andrew!

Regards,
Mike

Render Support Engineer, MT (UTC-7)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.