Render Pricing vs Heroku

I was wondering how you guys think the pricing here is vs Heroku or similar? Having trouble understanding the differences on the Postgres side. It seems similar but is it actually as I hear Render is much more affordable.

For example I see Postgres Render:
Render Postgres

• 2gb Ram
  • 48 GB
    = 45$/month

vs Heroku:

• 4gb Ram
  • 64 GB
    = 50$/month
    Heroku wins here ?

Render Webservices:

• 2GB ram
    = 25$/month

And for Heroku dynos it’s

• 512MB ram
    = 25$/month
    Render wins here?

Is that right or am I missing some key element?

Hi Dillon,

I think that there are two additional differences missing from the Postgres comparison. The first, is that Render provides your Postgres instance with a dedicated CPU (Heroku doesn’t publish the compute configuration for their Postgres instances but I believe you share compute resources with other users). The second is that for this tier Heroku only offers 4 days of backups where Render keeps 7 days of backups for all tiers. You can also read about some of the other major differences between Render and Heroku here. Feel free to reach out to support@render.com if you have any additional questions or want to discuss custom plan pricing.

1 Like

@tyler That’s handy that you have a doc outlining the differences, appreciate you sharing the link! I figured I was missing something. When connecting to my Heroku Postgres instance I definitely see a bunch of other Databases, so it’s certainly shared. Thanks !

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.