Internal Server Error creating service

Just created an account with a Rust web service to check out Render, but deployment fails with an Internal Server Error, as shown in the image below:

I guess there is not much the community can do about it, but there seems to be no better place for bug reports than this forum. In case anyone from Render is available to take a look, the name of the service is “Rocket Experiment”.

Hi @aochagavia ,

I took a look at the logs for your server, and see that it was trying to clone the main branch, but there were no commits on the branch so Render could not finish grabbing your repository.

I’ve filed an issue internally to give more helpful messaging on this, but in the mean time, if you’d like to try again it should work to select a different branch. Please do let me know if you need any more assistance.

I’m having the exact same issue trying to deploy a node web service. I get the Internal Server Error, but no other detail. Can you help me?

Hi @krpetrich ,

I took a look at your service, and see that we weren’t appropriately showing a configuration issue with your service. It looks like one of your environment variables accidentally has its value as its name, so it doesn’t fit the requirements of an env var name (“must consist of alphabetic characters, digits, ‘_’, ‘-’, or ‘.’, and must not start with a digit”).

I’ve filed an issue internally for us catch this invalid environment variable names in the future so you don’t experience this, but in the mean time, if you update the name of your environment variable it should allow you to deploy. Please let me know if you have any other questions or run into any other stumbling blocks :slight_smile:

Hello, I have encountered a similar situation, whether it is deployed through deploy hooks or web.

When I send the deployment request, the message “Internal Server Error” appears after waiting for about 3 mins. However, sometimes the deployment can be successfully deployed after waiting for a while, but most of the time it is stuck. My service is called “qtop-public”.

Since I’m only getting Internal Server Error, it’s hard to troubleshoot the cause. I’ve even reopened a new service and the first attempt will succeed, but when I deploy again it’s the same, is there any way for me to know what’s going on here?

Hi @JW_Lin,

Are you still running into this issue? I checked and it looks like your qtop-public service is available.

Hi @Jade_Paoletta,

Although the latest deployment was finally completed, it took me about two days to achieve it after dozens of repeated attempts. I’m still wondering what caused these stuck and multiple internal server errors.

Such an unstable state is somewhat frustrating, and it makes me wonder how many requests will need to be sent for the next successful deployment. Is this because the region I chose earlier was Singapore? Or is my project causing it? Thanks

Hi @JW_Lin,

Thanks for the additional information and definitely understand your frustration and concern here.

Since the issue is not happening currently, we can try to look into it retroactively to see if there are any larger issues at play. Do you know at which deploy the service succeeded vs when you were still seeing 502s? This will give us a better idea of when to narrow down our search.

Hi @Jade_Paoletta ,

After a few days of trying, I solved it myself, and I haven’t encountered similar problems again.

I think the error is caused by having too many files in one commit. The problem is solved when I try to pack them into a single file (.gz) or add an empty commit after the commit I want to deploy.
Anyway, thank you for all your assistance.

1 Like

Update: After a day I contacted support via email and they said there was “an internal error that blocks the creation of the services” which they fixed. I’ll leave the original comment here in case others are affected.

Hi, I am having the same issue.

I’ve set up a new static site which is connected to a Github repository. If I choose the Manual Deploy option from the Dashboard I get the “Deploy Error, Error: Internal Server Error”. I have other teams and deploys working on my site but this new one is failing for some reason.

The name of the service is my-little-geek if you are looking into it.

Any idea what’s going wrong? :thinking:

hi dan can you help me with the same error “server error 500” the website or service is called: “django-armoniagroup”
I don’t know where the problem comes from

Greetings, I too am getting a 500 error for my app called django_library. I think it’s because I pointed two apps at the same database.
please advise,
Sarah

I am receiving this error as well.