Install binary dependencies

I have a rails app that relies on libvips for image processing. is there a suggested way to use binary dependencies like this?

Hi there,

Our base images include many widely used dependencies. For dependencies related to more specific workloads, I would suggest running your service in a Docker environment instead of our native Ruby environment.

thanks for the reply! do you have an image processing library that could replace libvips? how can I find a list of the dependencies that are included?

It looks like our Ruby image has imagemagick installed. Would that be suitable for what you’re looking to do?

yeah that definitely might be. how do I find out if a dependency is installed? do I just have to make a call to it and see if it fails in the deploy?

Here is the current list of libraries installed on our Ruby image:

apt-transport-https
apt-utils
bison
build-essential
ca-certificates
curl
ffmpeg
fonts-liberation
g++
gcc
gconf-service
ghostscript
git
gnupg2
imagemagick
jq
libappindicator1
libasound2
libatk1.0-0
libatk-bridge2.0-0
libc6
libcairo2
libcairo2-dev
libcups2
libdbus-1-3
libev-dev
libevdev2
libexpat1
libffi-dev
libfontconfig
libgcc1
libgconf-2-4
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
libgif-dev
libglib2.0-0
libgtk-3-0
libjemalloc-dev
libjpeg-dev
libnspr4
libnss3
libpango-1.0-0
libpangocairo-1.0-0
libreadline-dev
libsodium-dev
libssl-dev
libstdc++6
libx11-6
libx11-xcb1
libxcb1
libxcomposite1
libxcursor1
libxdamage1
libxext6
libxfixes3
libxi6
libxrandr2
libxrender1
libxss1
libxtst6
lsb-release
make
nano
pandoc
poppler-utils
postgresql-client
python3-dev
python3-pip
python3-setuptools
rsync
swig
vim
wget
wkhtmltopdf
xdg-utils
xvfb
zlib1g-dev

Hi Jake,

Since Rails 7 is planning to use libvips as a default image-dealing library (and not imagemagick any longer), do you in Render team plan to include libvips to your libraries on a plain Ruby image? Thx!

Hi @staleo,

I’ll certainly flag this internally to the team for discussion. We have an open request around this here that you can follow for further updates.

1 Like