How to set Postgres database logging level

Hi there, the Render managed Postgres database is creating a ton of useless logs which are polluting our datadog. These logs are basically for connect and disconnect.

Is there a way to change the logging level for the Postgres managed database so it does not generate these excessive log entries?

Hi Zak,

I wouldn’t expect the logging level to be adjustable but will check with our team and report back. Can you share the name of your database so I can take a look? Are you looking to ignore a particular log level such as “info”?

Looks like we don’t currently have this feature, but these docs might be helpful for filtering the logs that Datadog reads.

Thank you, Aaron. That might do for now.

Zak

I’m also having this issue but with log tail. Does anyone know if there’s a way to do something similar there?

Hi @iainbeeston-thrivve,

We don’t currently have a way to set this, however, we do have an open feature request around this. You can upvote it to receive future updates https://feedback.render.com/features/p/automatically-detecting-log-level-in-the-logstream

I’m having the same issue, even a blank database is barfing lots of Postgres log noise @ 4 lines every 10 seconds (more frequently on higher plans?) because I’m seeing it every 3s or so in Logtail.

Sep 16 12:41:43 PM  [1-1] LOG:  XXX connection received: XXX
Sep 16 12:41:43 PM  [2-1] LOG:  XXX connection authenticated: XXX
Sep 16 12:41:43 PM  [3-1] LOG:  XXX connection authorized: XXX
Sep 16 12:41:43 PM  [4-1] LOG:  XXX disconnection: XXX

This is filling up my free tiers on logging applications and just generally creating a lot of noise.

2 Likes

Hey davatron did you end up figuring out how to resolve this issue? Or @Render staff I’m getting the same issues for DataDog and would like a way to reduce this noise.

We ended up rolling out Logtail inside the application level and turning off the logging from Render. Lose some database visibility but now our logs are much more useful.

Can we please address the log noise. Makes the whole log stream feature useless TBH.

1 Like

I would love to get this resolved. For every one line of signal I have 5 lines of database noise. Having to upgrade my logtail subscription again today - I will probably move to a different provider to save money because this is costing too much. Or maybe do what davatron did.

1 Like