Having AWS S3 in a region different from deployment?

Hey there,

I am considering migrating my current system from Heroku to Render, but I am wondering why there is no Render region us-east-1 (the default AWS region)?

Firstly by curiosity. But secondly, because if I have to migrate my servers to Ohio or Oregon, I will have to copy my entire S3 buckets too. The reason is because AWS add transfert costs for multi-regions I/O, while it’s free inside the same region.

Okay, for various technical reasons, I am not using the famous direct upload feature using a pre-signed URLs (people must upload files through my servers in any case). But even then, I am making some background processing on large files, which necessary open and read the file content.

Is there anyone with similar questions? Or anyone with suggestions on how to deal with it? It is not a too big deal to me, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

A us-east-1 region has a feature request on our feedback site, please feel free to upvote/comment to be notified of any updates: https://feedback.render.com/features/p/us-east-virginia-region-1

Until that region is available on Render, your suggestion to move your bucket to a matching Render region would probably be the best solution for now.

Kind regards

Alan

We should definitely make everybody aware of this wonderful feature request… Thanks for your feedback!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.