GoatCounter Deploy Failure

I followed the instructions at Deploy GoatCounter | Render Docs and my site seems to have failed to deploy.
The logs state that it failed to run migrations (I assume because this is the first deployment and there are no migrations to run), and then states

Blockquote
Feb 27 03:24:11 INFO: ready; serving 0 sites on “0.0.0.0:10000”; dev=false; sites:
Feb 26 07:24:27 PM zdb.Connect: zdb.Connect: unrecognized database engine in connect string “”
Feb 26 07:24:27 PM Failed to run migrations
Feb 26 07:24:28 PM inappropriate ioctl for device
Feb 26 07:24:28 PM Enter password for new user (will not echo): Failed to create site
Feb 26 07:24:28 PM Serving site…
Feb 26 07:24:28 PM zdb.Connect: zdb.Connect: unrecognized database engine in connect string “-automigrate”
Feb 26 07:24:28 PM Loading Goat Counter schema…
Feb 26 07:24:29 PM psql: error: SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

The “database engine in connect string” makes me think this is to do with the Internal Connection String from the PG Database, but it looks like it copied correctly into my environment variables.
Guidance on how to troubleshoot this would be great.

Fixed it. Your docs are out of sync. The environment variables need to be in a group called “docker”. I was under the impression they just needed to exist in the “environment variables” section.

Hey Brent,
I just ran through both the Deploy to Render button and the manual deployment methods of GoatCounter and after performing both processes I ended up with a working GoatCounter install.

I’m also intrigued by your findings of a ‘docker’ env var group - that’s not something we know anything about here - so even more puzzling that it worked.

John B