Getting 503 'This service has been suspended by its owner.' without suspending the service

I successfully migrated our web service and database to Render yesterday. Was a really good experience.

The only problem is that we since then get a lot of 503 errors with the following message: ‘This service has been suspended by its owner.’. Our service is clearly not suspended and this only happens on a small yet notable number of requests, which is frustrating to our users. I created a second web service that I suspended on purpose to see if it gives me the same error and it does.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Update: 8% of all requests hitting the service respond with 503: “This service has been suspended by its owner.”

The service is not suspended. Creating a second web service with the same configuration results in the same behaviour. 8% of all requests fail with this error since Saturday.

Hey Lucas,

I apologize for the delayed response. It looks like one of our proxies incorrectly treated your service as suspended, so all requests served by that instance were rejected. I’ve removed that instance from service so you should no longer see 503s. We will investigate how that instance ended up in an incorrect state.

1 Like

Thank you Jake. It seems to work now.

1 Like

Hello Jake,

I am facing the exact same issue. We suspended 4 of our webservices for 1 month. Now we re-activated them and keep getting random 503 errors. I guess we also notice the issue on 8% of all requests. Could you please help? Do you need more information?

Thank you very much!

Hi @Christian_Grosskopf, happy to look into this for you. Can you share the names of the services affected? Feel free to DM me.

Hello guys, I’ve been having the same issue, I suspended a web server then brought it back to life and from time to time, some of the requests keep getting a 503 response

Hi Joao,

We refreshed our systems and that should have resolved the issue. Let me know if you are still seeing that response.

1 Like

I did get a brief 502 today, probably not related to the above but weird

Hello, I am currently having a problem similar to this. My main domain is working but whenever I use a subdomain I get this error message “This service has been suspended by its owner” .
It was working initially but 10 minutes later it stopped working

Hey my service is : https://netflix-web-app.onrender.com

And i had hosted three other services successfully from my account and i m not able to login into my account either now. Could u update about what just happened and why that occurred?

For all urls, i hosted services, I m getting :

The service has been suspended by the owner

-this-service-has-been-suspended- in https://namex.onrender.com/

in my case, This error always occurs when resuming an instance that was suspended.
And no reply from the support team.

I will need to think about whether the production environment should be render.com.

1 Like

Same here. Instance was paused for a month and after resume, Rewrite Rules are not working properly, returning me this message.

hey i have also been getting the 503 error

1. List item

ting the 503

You guys they have majorly not taken into responsibility of updating their guidelines about deploying a clone project(as purely part of learning curve/personal project) and randomly describing it a reason for services to be taken down. I see so many people with 503 / suspension of services but tag line is they don’t care

Hello, we face the same issue that is described above.
‘This service has been suspended by its owner.’- Don’t see a reason for this to appear.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I keep getting this 503 issue and sometimes 504 but my service is live. This is my service https://tvt-backend.onrender.com

Hey jake, i cant access my render service due to ‘This service has been suspended by its owner’. i deployed 8 web services but now i cant access one of services, it is a bad experience, my render account is logging with gitlab and email is chatgptt898@gmail.com
i send many emails to support@render.com but they dont repl me for 2 days. If you can help me, thanks jake.
Your sincerely render user,
Andy