Extremely slow responses from base urls

Hello,

I am trying out render (free tier) while I make a decision on where to host my stuff. I like it so far, but I am running into a strange issue where the base urls ([project-name].onrender.com) takes an extremely long time to respond - something like 2-3 minutes, while for example the health endpoint responds as quick as can be expected with normal latency. It happens with both my frontend site and my api which makes me think I haven’t messed a config up. It builds and deploys fine, as evident by the fact that anything other than the base url works fine.

Anyone have any issues with this previously and now what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Hi @raksom,

Our free tier does spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity, so the first request after the service is spun down make take a while, but subsequent requests should be faster. Is that what you’re observing? More info related to this here: https://render.com/docs/free

That’s not what has been happening, the service have been up and running even after having been previously spun down. After waiting for a request to complete, I could visit for example ‘/health’ and get a response instantly. However, returning to just ‘/’ would still take a long time.

However, right now, no request ever seem to finish for me, sub paths or not, over several projects, so it might be a bigger issue than before.

Having “tested” (just visiting the urls) it more today it seems to be all over the place. Sometimes the original problem happens where just the base url is slow and not any sub paths, and sometimes any path is slow, and other times it seems to work normally.

We have the same problem.
We really need a quick fix for this.

Thanks for the additional details - I haven’t been able to replicate this but we’re taking a closer look to see if there are any other issues at play here.

Hi @raksom,

Apologies for the late response here. Unfortunately we have not been able to replicate the same behavior you’re describing. Are you still experiencing this regularly? If so, some additional details may be helpful for investigating, such as the browser and browser version you’re using, if you’re using a vpn, or if you experience the same issue when using a different network, etc.

Yes, still happens from time to time, impossible for me to reproduce reliably however because it seems to be happening randomly.

No vpn, has happened on firefox, chrome and edge. When looking at the request using the browser dev tools, there are no errors or anything, just a 2 minute long request. It also seems to be happening across both the services I have now, so maybe it has to do with the region (Frankfurt)? Seems to happend after waking from inactivity however, but that’s really all I have so far.

I will try to keep my eyes open for if/when it happens again.

Something I noticed just now as well was that it took a similar amount of time before the service would wake after inactivicty. I started the request at ~14:57, and at ~14:59 the Starting service with... log showed up. Maybe it’s related, maybe not, but since it took a similar amount of time I thought I would note it here as well.

Something I noticed just now as well was that it took a similar amount of time before the service would wake after inactivicty. I started the request at ~14:57, and at ~14:59 the Starting service with... log showed up. Maybe it’s related, but since it took a similar amount of time I thought I would note it here as well.

[Discourse post]