Cold boot/start of the server for first request

So basically I’ve created APIs in node js & hosted that on render & database I’m using is mongodb, so in layman terms as soon as request comes on backend, data is pulled from database & response given to the client end.

So what I’ve observed is, when I open my app after ample amount of gap let’s say after 1 hour or something, when I send first request to the render it takes around 60 to 90 seconds to give response on the app, and after this first response if I send a request immediately then I quickly get the response let’s say 5 seconds. And if I send a request after 1 hour then again it’ll behave the same like taking 60-90 seconds.

What do we call to this phenomenon? Cold start/boot?

Is it common? If yes then how to resolve this?

Hi shubham,

Free instance types spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity and then will restart when they next receive a request. This behavior is documented at https://render.com/docs/free.

If you need your service always be available, moving to a paid instance type avoids this behavior, and the service will remain running constantly.

To change the instance type, follow these steps:

• Navigate to the service in our dashboard
  • Open the ‘settings’ tab
  • Click on the ‘Change Instance Type’ button
  • Select the instance type you wish to use (the minimum to avoid sleeping is Starter)
  • If you want to change back to the free instance type, repeat this process but select ‘free’

John B
Render Support, UTC+1 :uk:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.