PG::DiskFull Error

Hi,

this error was raised in my application where the standard postgres database is at 4.95% used out of 16.0 GiB

PG::DiskFull: ERROR: could not resize shared memory segment "/PostgreSQL.1934435548" to 2097152 bytes: No space left on device CONTEXT: parallel worker

How ofter does this error happen?

The error happened only once in a web instance 13.01.2021 15:48:21 CEST

But the type of error does leave mit with serious doubt on the reliability of the postgresql service-level…

@Hao-Ji_Wu we just had another of those errors PG::DiskFull: ERROR: could not resize shared memory segment "/PostgreSQL.85168668" to 2097152 bytes: No space left on device

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the trouble. Happy to help you resolve this, I’ll reach out over email.

1 Like

Well that’s scary. :neutral_face: Great to see support reaching out directly and quickly. Were you able to resolve it with a good feeling that it wasn’t going to happen again?

The issue could be resolved, but a restart was necessary which could be scheduled to a timeslot of our needs. I’m happy so far :+1:

1 Like

Glad to hear it, and thanks. It’s just scary if your DB was only at 5% of 16GB. How could it be out of disk space?

You’ve got to ask support for the root cause. I assume some query tried to create a temp table or something like that.

1 Like

@Hao-Ji_Wu We started seeing this error on our production database. Could you help us overcome the issue?

@gjsduarte This will require a change from our end. We’ll follow up with you regarding this in the current email thread with you.