Multiple Databases - SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

Hello good people of render!

I’ve got a render web server running Rails, connected to a database on a render postgres 14 server and a raspberry pi running Rails, connected to that same database. Everything works :ok_hand:.

At the same time, I’ve got another render web server running Rails, connected to a second database that I created on that same postgres server, which also works fine, but the raspberry pi Rails instance throws an error saying: “SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly”

The same happens using psql client inside the raspberry pi, connecting to the first database (that was created automatically by render), works ok, but when I try to connect to the second one, the same error occurs.

$> psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 11.14 (Raspbian 11.14-0+deb10u1)
$> psql -U <username> -d <second_db_name> -h <postgres.render.com>
psql: SSL connection has been closed unexpectedly

Do you know what could be the problem?

Yours trully,
John

2 Likes

Hi there,
So we’ve taken a look into this and we think it’s an issue specifically with the Postgres client being used whether that be a desktop client or a language client library.

We’ve verified using psql v14 that the connection is successful to an additional database
We’ve confirmed that Beekeeper studio indeed also works successfully
We’ve confirmed that TablePlus does not work with the SSL connection error as you report
We’ve confirmed that using the PG gem 1.3.5 works

So in your case, it’s isolated to Postigo as well as the version of the PG gem you are using here in your Rails app. Certainly, for the Rails app bumping to a newer version of the PG gem should sort things out for you. But as for Postigo that’s for them to update their software themselves.

John B

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.