Make `RENDER_INTERNAL_HOSTNAME` one of the "official" env vars

Hey!

I’ve been using RENDER_INTERNAL_HOSTNAME for whenever the app needs to “call itself” - i.e. when doing Server-Side Rendering and the app needs to call the API.

I realized now that it’s not listed in the “official” environment variables. Could this be added? :slight_smile:

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for reaching out.

The environment variables that are not listed in the documentation is because they could still be subject to change. If/when we’re sure a variable is going to be stable we would add it to the documented list.

Kind regards

Alan

I have an app that needs to ping a specific instance, and I can do that by using RENDER_INTERNAL_HOSTNAME. Is this still considered to change?

I’m relying on this in prod too, would be really great if it was officially supported so my app didn’t suddenly break one day. It’s been stable for over a year, I feel it could be upgraded to stable?

To elaborate, I use this for server-side rendering where the app “calls itself” while rendering.

I’m the creator of tRPC and that’s how our automatic SSR works: Server-Side Rendering | tRPC

@al_ps Any update on this? Very curious why this internal hostname is not official and what the limits are to making it so.

Thanks