How to proxy network calls for SPA (static site)?

I have deploy a SPA with frontend and backend separate.

In dev mode, I am using devServer proxy.

On prod, if we use nginx, it can be done something like this

location /api/* {
      proxy_pass http://YOUR_API_ENDPOINT;
    }

but how to do proxy network calls to backend in render?

(a side question: what if use render private service how will it work with above question)

You could deploy an Nginx service on Render if that’s your preferred method. As you mentioned, one way you can do this is to deploy your API as a private service if you don’t need an external URL for it. You can then use the service’s internal host/port to connect to it from another Render service in your account.

If you don’t want to create an nginx service, you can use a static site rewrite rule to proxy all /api/* requests to your backend. This requires you to use a web service. If using a private service is a requirement, you’ll need to setup something like nginx.

2 Likes

I’ve used rewrites for this to map /graphql to my API server (also on render). It works well, but I can map to the external address only. In nginx, I am used to setting up a proxy to an internal network connection. Is there a way to setup proxies/rewrites that stick to an “internal” connection? Or, is this not an applicable question due to the nature of render.com hosting?

I’ve been trying this with a private service running NodeJS/Hapi and render tells me the internal host:port, but when I enter http://host:port on the SPA rewrite, I get a 502. Tried searching, but not having much luck. If I open the shell on private service, I’ve verified NodeJS is running and responding at 0.0.0.0:port, so it should be accessible from the SPA.

Hi @WesleyJohnson ,

This is not possible with private services, since we intentionally prevent them from being accessible publicly. If you want to rewrite to your service, you’ll need to create it as a public service and rewrite to its public address.

Hi @david_frqncy ,

Render doesn’t currently support sticky sessions—an individual connection may be routed to any of your service instances.

Thanks, Dan. I thought since the SPA was hosted on render as well that it could connect internally. I guess that doesn’t really add up, though, when the SPA is all client side. :slight_smile:

I’ll look at changing the backend to a Web Service.
Thanks again.

1 Like