Horrible elixir support

why is it that you both cannot maintain your docs on how to deploy elixir apps, i have over 300 on heroku that i want to deploy, you seem to not update tutorials and/or docker support simply never works, i shudder thinking that i might have better experience using azure as im a linux only user, but since none of these platforms ive tried 3 now care about actually testing their tutorials, i am at the mercy of ms.
the latest error is ------
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM Dockerfile:21
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM --------------------
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM 19 | # install mix dependencies
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM 20 | COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM 21 | >>> RUN mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM 22 |
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM 23 | # copy compile configuration files
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM --------------------
Aug 9 07:42:17 PM error: failed to solve: process “/bin/sh -c mix deps.get --only $MIX_ENV” did not complete successfully: exit code: 1
codebase: GitHub - mithereal/phoenix_liveview_skeleton

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you’ve had trouble getting an Elixir project up and running with a Native Environment, then we’d be happy to troubleshoot any issues with you, if you’re able to provide some examples of where you’re hitting problems.

With Docker, it’s a little harder to support as you’re in control of the environment and the set up is more down to you.

Looking at the error you shared and the latest deploy failure, it appears the issue might be around environment variables, $MIX_ENV in your example and most recently:

Aug 10 05:36:31 AM #16 0.855 ** (RuntimeError) environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing.

Environment variables are not available by default in Docker builds on Render. This is noted in the Render Docker docs: Using Secrets with Docker - Environment Variables in Docker Builds**. **That doc also covers recommendations for using secrets at build time.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Alan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.