Flask subdomains + render?

i have gotten subdomains to work locally by editing the hosts file but i dont know how i could do this in render?

from flask import Flask

app = Flask(__name__)

# Define a route for the subdomain
@app.route('/', subdomain='sub')
def subdomain_home():
    return 'Hello from the subdomain!'

# Define a route for the main domain
@app.route('/')
def main_home():
    return 'Hello from the main domain!'

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run(debug=True)

like i tried deploying this but the / domain works but the subdomain doesnt

This site can’t provide a secure connection

sub.domain.onrender.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
i get this

i know that domain.onrender is already a sub domain but i think we can have sub sub domains and that the problem is with needing to edit a hosts file or something?

or would i have to make a new project and then with my domain registrar make sub.domain.com point to the domain of the new project?

Hi,

Second-level subdomains on your services default server-name.onrender.com domain won’t work.

You’d need to use your own custom domain: https://docs.render.com/custom-domains

Alan

hi, maybe i dont understand right but, i tried subdomain in flask didnt work so i used to custom domain and connected example.com and sub.example .com but sub.example.com just goes to the default service cuz when i put sub.service.onrender .com it wont verify i think and either way it gives ssl error, does that mean i cant use flask subdomain and i would need to make a new render service and connect my sub.example . com to that service? this would technically work i just wanted to use subdomain so if you know any way pls let me know! thanks

and for some reason the main domain and sub domain i connected say certificate pending unlike my services with no sub domains, anyways if i make for sub.example.com cname to sub.service.onrender.com will it even verify? and if yes will it give the ssl error?
im sorry im just new to this so im not sure

i cant post many embeds cuz of the limit

without sub it works fine but adding sub it gives an error and you said something about custom domains i tried but maybe i just dont understand correctly i just connected my domain and when i go to sub.mydomain.com it gives the same error, so i tried verifying the subdomain itself but that just redirects to the base service page

The screenshot shows you’re still trying to use a second-level subdomain on an onrender.com domain. That will not work as noted previously.

Please can you use share examples rather than mydomain.com and example.com.

Alan

https://any-w1a3.onrender.com/
https://any.is-a.dev/
these both work and give this is the main domain, but when i go to sub they both give an unsupported protocol error

Let’s forget about the onrender.com address, as it doesn’t support second-level subdomains, as said above.

So let’s break down any.is-a.dev

is-a.dev is your root domain.

any.is-a.dev is your subdomain.

If you want another level of subdomain, e.g. second.any.is-a.dev. You would need to add that as a custom domain to your service, and set a CNAME record for second.any to any-w1a3.onrender.com.

Alan

from what i understand, is this what you mean?? or should the cname for sub.any be sub.any-w1a3? also both say certificate issued idk why it didnt show but after reloading it showed

if i did do it right it still does:

i have been trying many things but idk i cant figure it out

hello?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.