Does Python `threading` work within render.com? I can't event get print statements to stream into my logs

Subject says it all. I’m using Python’s threading library to kick a long running task (within my Flask app) into another thread. The issue is, I’m not seeing anything happen. None of my print or logging statements display to the log stream. I was expecting to see my attached disk grow in memory used but that isn’t happening either. All feedback is dark.

If anyone has any pointers as to why this may be / how to fix it I’d love to hear it. Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Render doesn’t do anything that would specifically affect Python threading. I’m not a Python expert, but I just span up some threading code examples and they all behaved I would expect.

Some questions that spring to mind:

• Does it work as you expect locally?
  • Are you using the same Python version locally and on Render?
  • Are you seeing other logging? Just not this threaded task?
  • Do you have a shareable (or basic) example of what you’re trying to achieve?

It may help to share the service ID so we can also take a look. If you don’t want to share that publicly, please feel free to reach out to support@render.com

Kind regards

Alan

I am seeing these logs come in now - not really sure why they weren’t before (as I haven’t changed anything). Perhaps refreshing the logs page is what did the trick. Thank you for reaching out and providing support!! I really do appreciate it :slight_smile:

No worries, glad you’re seeing the logs now.

Thanks for using Render!

Alan