Do I need a reverse proxy?

Hi,

I am new to render and have a few questions. I have a Nodejs app and usually I have things like rate limiting and headers set up in the reverse proxy. I am guessing I need that with render too?

And if I have a reverse proxy like nginx, will your horizontal scaling work without constant fiddling with nginx configs?

Hi there,
Typically most customers don’t deploy a reverse proxy when deploying to Render, we run a load balancer so when you scale horizontally the load balancer handles that. If you used a shared store like Redis for rate-limiting data then all the instances would have access to the data and if you serve headers from your application then there’s also no need there,

Regards,

John B

Hi John,

If I understand correctly, using a reverse proxy is fine for your scaling solution.

Is there also a workaround for handling a large number of redirects for SEO reasons? It wouldn’t make sense to put them in my Node router for performance reasons.

Hi there,

I don’t have any workarounds for redirects I’m afraid.

Regards,

John B

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.