Separating staging and prod environments

Hello,

I’m trying to have several copies of our infrastructure- prod, staging, and main. In talking with support, I learned you can’t deploy to a tag, at least not directly- branches only.

What I want is to be able to manually deploy to prod, a staging deployment that deploys when a release (github tag) is created, and a dev environment wherein commits to main trigger deployments as normal. The idea would be to test things in the staging environment prior to release, and then manually trigger the release.

So far, the most obvious way I can think of is with an external CI action changing branches around. Is there an easier way to do that using Render?

I think you could disable auto deployment and use the deploy hooks of render. So you setup a bash script that runs after a tag has been created, and calls the render deploy endpoint to deploy the staging environment.

But I think the easiest way to handle this would be to have dedicated branches for stage and dev.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.