Render with Pipenv/Poetry instead of requirements.txt?

When deploying to Render from a Git repo, these lines can be read in the deployment logs:

INFO==> Using Poetry version 1.7.1 (default)
INFO==> Docs on specifying a Poetry version: https://render.com/docs/poetry-version
INFO==> Running build command 'pip install -r requirements.txt'...
ERROR: Could not open requirements file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'requirements.txt'

From other services like Heroku or Koyeb, I’m used to having no requirements.txt but the deployment to pick up a Pipenv.lock or poetry.lock file instead, if found.
These first INFO==> lines indicate that Render’s build environment has Poetry available at least, too.

So, my question is: Why isn’t it possible to have Render provide the requirements by having it execute any of:

• poetry install (if poetry.lock is found)
  • pipenv sync (if Pipenv.lock is found)

Currently, this behavior makes an extra-step necessary to export the project requirements to a requirements.txt file to have Render pick up and install the project requirements:

• pipenv requirements --dev > requirements.txt for Pipenv
  • poetry export -f requirements.txt --output requirements.txt for Poetry

This is required whenever there is a change to the package list or a newer version of any of the installed modules is released. This seems to render any project dependency management absurd.

This seems completely unnecessary to me since Render seems to have at least Poetry available.
If there is a way to have this, I missed studying the docs; please point me to the docs if this is the case.

OK, ignore this please…

This comes from the Build Command configured for my projects settings, which is by default:
pip install -r requirements.txt.
Changing this brings the expected behaviour - sorry for the noise!

So what is the command I’m supposed to run?
It’s very unclear to me as I don’t know a lot terminologies you have used here since I’m pretty new to all of this.

So is there a one line command I can use? Thanks

hi, kindly google necrobump, then

In order for anyone to help, you need to lay out what you are trying to do, what you have tried, and as much information as you can.
Also, there is no command you should use.

The default build setting is correct for a typical project, but we have no clue what kind of project you have.

d

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.