Creating multiple blueprints out of the same repo

I am using a blueprint to manage both my staging and prod environments, and I found an issue with that.

The scenario is basically the following: I have a render.yaml file, with a config do deploy staging from the staging branch and a config to deploy prod from the main branch. The blueprint is configured to sync from the staging branch.

The problem is that every time I push something to staging, the resources from prod are also synched and updated. This has worked fine for a while, but I recently introduced changes in staging that would break prod if executed without the rest of the changes on that PR, thus creating a failed deployment in the prod environment.

I also thought about changing the blueprint to sync from the main branch, but that would also not work, because staging would always be behind in the change log.

So my question is: is there a way to create separate blueprints out of the same repo, or is there any way to go around this issue? I had to disable auto-sync to mitigate the issue, but that is not the ideal scenario.

Hey,

It sounds like you’re running into an issue we often hear about. When everything is defined in the same Blueprint, everything gets redeployed with a PR environment. Unfortunately, you can’t have two separate blueprint spec files in the same repository, so it does seem like a bit of a dead end. However, a colleague of mine shared a detailed response a while back that covers what’s going on and offers some ways to work around this limitation. I don’t think I can add much more to what was already said, but I’ve linked his response for you to check out. If you have any more questions or need further clarification, don’t hesitate to get back to us in this thread.

https://community.render.com/t/suggestions-how-to-have-a-permanent-staging/7280/2

Jérémy.
Render Support, UTC+3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.