Connection Issue with Render PostgreSQL via pgAdmin: Unexpected Server Termination

Hi,

I’m encountering an issue when trying to connect to my PostgreSQL database hosted on Render using pgAdmin. The error message I receive is:
‘’ Unable to connect to server, connection failed: server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.‘’

I have entered the Host, Database, Port, Username, and Password correctly. I have tried most of the SSL mode values and changed the connection timeout from 10 seconds to 60 because it previously told me that the connection failed due to exceeding the specified time.

Is there anyone who can help me with this issue? I have searched a lot and haven’t found a solution.

Hi,

You haven’t provided much detail here, e.g. what host you’re trying to connect to.

There are also other community posts on connecting via pgAdmin, e.g. https://community.render.com/t/error-when-accessing-the-postgresql-server-in-pgadmin/19415

I’ll repeat the contents here:

If you’re connecting to a Postgres DB from outside Render, this is covered in the docs here:
https://docs.render.com/databases#connecting-with-the-external-url

Which shows the breakdown of the credentials in the “External Database URL” shown on the DB dashboard:

postgres://USER:PASSWORD@EXTERNAL_HOST:PORT/DATABASE

Database = DATABASE
Server/Host = EXTERNAL_HOST
User Name = USER
Port = 5432 (Postgres default)
Password = PASSWORD

Also:
SSL Mode = “require”

You’d need to plug these details into pgAdmin.

Also, ensure the Access Control settings on the database are valid.

Thank you for your response, I will attach images to explain what I’m doing:

I’m not seeing any external connection issues with the DB shown in your screenshots.

Are you on a network you don’t control? E.g. work, public, etc. which may block non-standard ports.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.