A dump question, how to reboot a server on render?

So far, I can only redeploy to reboot, which takes too much time. I searched but I didn’t find a reboot button anywhere.

Could someone help point me if there is one?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @qevan, there’s no reboot button, but if you go into the Shell for your service you can kill the main server process. Render will automatically detect that your service has failed and will re-run your start command to get your server running again. Let me know if you have additional questions on how this would work.

1 Like

Oh. cool. let me give it try.

1 Like

it works. It might be good to have an official button :slight_smile:

3 Likes

for docker deployment, how to reboot? I cannot use ps or docker in shell.

Hi @qevan ,

The kill or killall commands should work inside the shell. If you’d like to totally restart the environment, you can log in to the Render Dashboard, go to your service, and click the “Manual Deploy” button.

manual deploy is time comsuing!

While using SSH to kill a process does work to trigger a restart, it also triggers an email notification that the service has failed. This is misleading, as the process is being restarted intentionally. A straightforward path for managing service processes - either via the Render UI or API - is definitely needed.

Hi there,

A restart feature request is on our feedback site: https://feedback.render.com/features/p/ability-to-restart-servers

However, I don’t have an ETA to share currently. Please feel free to upvote/comment to be notified of updates.

Kind regards

Alan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.